a useful neologism - crowdstamping

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Thu Aug 5 13:04:13 CEST 2010

Hi,

No.  I do not think ICAN is some sort of government.

Yes it deals with governments and kowtows to them a bit much for my personal taste, but it is not some form of government.

I see it as an experimental form of governance, which is quit different from a government that presumes to control the lives of the people it claims sovereignty over.  ICANN does provide a kind of regulation of a very small facet of a global resource and makes a real effort to adapt as it learns what it meant to do so in a multistakeholder manner.  Yes it often seems to galumph along sometimes looking quite awkward, but to me it seems to be trying to constantly improve itself.

As for stepping back and looking at the institutional design of ICANN, yes, it seems quite rational to me, though it is a design that has many details that are thorny to work out because of human nature - e.g. the proper role of the various staff components vis a vis the volunteers who should run the organization.  I also find some government designs quite interesting and rational as well - but mostly object to the forms of authoritarian control they all resort to when they decide it is time to "protect us."

I have no idea how the " tech community habitually view it"  and have no idea whether the way I view it falls into that category, though from the tone of your note, I assume you think I do.

a.