[ncsg-policy] NCSG Open Policy Meeting - 4 August 1300 UTC

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Tue Aug 3 16:30:45 CEST 2010

I will not be able to make this call either.

On the table for discussion and vote are two motions on WHOIS studies:
one to defer all studies until all of them are prepared (the last
currently have their RFPs under development); the second to begin the
WHOIS misuse study.

I initially opposed the misuse study as unscientific in its design, but
I believe that we are close to amendments that will make this study more
likely to generate useful results about whether and how data supplied
for WHOIS is misused.

I would be interested to hear the group's thoughts whether we should
support study 1 with amendments or support deferral of all studies.

Thanks,
--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org
phone: +1.914.374.0613
Fellow, Silicon Flatirons Center at University of Colorado Law School
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
https://www.torproject.org/