a useful neologism - crowdstamping

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Wed Aug 4 07:02:42 CEST 2010

I was also thinking about peer dynamics, not just adult authorities.  Who
were the leaders among students, and how did they manipulate opinion among
fellow students...

Even in institutions where the adults treat the students with respect (I
grew up in such a school system), the students often don't treat each other
with respect based on merit so much as respect based on various forms of
personal power (i.e., raw popularity and "cliques").  Manipulation of the
perception of collective opinion can be part of that power.

In the US, political dynamics are often driven by the saying "perception is
reality."  Manipulate perception, and you can create your own reality.
Those seeking to consolidate and entrench their own power often work very
hard to manipulate perception rather than to discover reality on its own
terms (which can often be difficult to do accurately), especially if
reality goes against their narrow agenda.

Dan

PS: Do we need to file these comments with the ATRT?  ;-)

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.