are confusing similar gTLDs not confusing if the same registry has them all?

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Wed Apr 21 16:37:54 CEST 2010

Dear all,

Sorry to be joining this discussion late. Under trademark law there is a different legal standard for confusingly similar and for likelihood of confusion. DAG fails to makes this sort of distinction but most importantly and what all Registries need to understand is that 'confusion' depends on use of the mark and its associated goodwill of the product or service. This, as we all know, is something that does not apply in the case of gTLDs and more generally domain names. Consumer confusion can only kick in and become a viable argument if infringement is determined according to use - otherwise we cannot speak about consumer confusion.

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,
Law Lecturer,
University of Strathclyde,