[council] Law Enforcement Recommend RAA Amendments and ICANN Due Diligence

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Apr 13 18:27:29 CEST 2010

Alex,

Eliminating online privacy is exactly what this is an attempt to do.
Law enforcement always wants more data and always feels entitled to
it.   We have to remind folks that law enforcement goals must be
balanced with other goals - like protecting individual privacy
rights.  Just because "law enforcement" wants the data, does not mean
it should get it.   ICANN should be more responsible than just go
along with whatever "law enforcement" wants - or at least remember
that personal privacy is a law also worthy of being enforced.

Robin

On Apr 13, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Alex Gakuru wrote:

> [...]
>
> Hope not a bit-by-bit chipping away of privacy in the name of 'Law
> Enforcement'?
>
> regards,
>
> Alex

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM, William Drake
> <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch> wrote:
>> The bits on Proxy Registrations or Privacy Services may be of
>> interest...
>> Bill
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
>> Date: April 13, 2010 7:14:15 AM GMT+02:00
>> To: "GNSO Council " <council at gnso.icann.org>
>> Subject: [council] Law Enforcement Recommend RAA Amendments and
>> ICANN Due
>> Diligence
>>

>> Not sure where the original law enforcement document was
>> submitted.  Below
>> is what I found at:
>>
>> https://st.icann.org/raa-related/index.cgi/
>> LawEnforcementRAArecommendations%20(2).doc?
>> action=attachments_download;page_name=05_january_2010;id=200911181851
>> 09-0-21002.
>>

>> Law Enforcement Recommend RAA Amendments and ICANN Due Diligence
>>

>> Introduction: Below are: 1) suggested amendments to the RAA and;
>> 2) due
>> diligence recommendations for ICANN to adopt in accrediting
>> registrars and
>> registries.  Both are supported by the following international law
>> enforcement agencies:
>>
>> • Australian Federal Police;
>> • Department of Justice (US);
>> • Federal Bureau of Investigation (US);
>> • New Zealand Police;
>> • Royal Canadian Mounted Police;
>> • Serious Organised Crime Agency (UK)
>>
>> The amendments are considered to be required in order to aid the
>> prevention
>> and disruption of efforts to exploit domain registration
>> procedures by
>> Criminal Groups for criminal purposes.   The proposed amendments take
>> account of existing EU, US, Canadian and Australian legislation
>> and those
>> countries commitment to preserving individual’s rights to
>> privacy.  These
>> amendments would maintain these protections whilst facilitating
>> effective
>> investigation of Internet related crime.
>>

>> I. Proposed Amendments to the RAA (May 21, 2009 version)
>>
>> 1)   The RAA should not explicitly condone or encourage the use of
>> Proxy
>> Registrations or Privacy Services, as it appears in paragraphs
>> 3.4.1   and
>> 3.12.4.  This goes directly against the Joint Project Agreement
>> (JPA) ICANN
>> signed with the United States Department of Commerce on September
>> 25, 2006
>> which specifically states “ICANN shall continue to enforce
>> existing (Whois)
>> policy”, i.e., totally open and public WHOIS, and the September
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org