ICANN consultation on new gTLD Agreement process and post-delegation dispute resolution process.

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Wed Apr 14 19:46:02 CEST 2010

I feel that registries are split on this - some would really like to see the
PDDRP go altogether (especially the ones that have public interests issues
as a primary focus), whilst others would like to see the PDDRP amended but
not gone because they want to please their trademark customers. What we need
to understand is that behind the PDDRP is the trademark constituency and
WIPO (which at the time at least seems to be the sole PDDRP provider) so
getting rid of it will be difficult but not entirely impossible (we managed
to do this with the IRT's GPML). From the phone call yesterday it became
obvious that ICANN does not want to get involved in this process for the
fear of Registries ultimately turning against it, but Registries are pushing
for ICANN taking its share of responsibility. I have a feeling that ICANN
would much rather see the PDDRP being scraped than be part of it.

In our comments we put forward some propositions of making the system
fairer: availability of de novo appeal, introduction of statute of
limitations, adequate time for response, a standard 3-panel rule, etc. But
even if we do all these things the main issue with the PDDRP will remain:
Registries will be forced to check content, will suspend domain names
without proper review and this will ultimately create a trademark-oriented
DNS - exactly what trademark owners are after.

Personally my hunch is to seek to get rid of it. Brussels will be key on
this. I don't know who is the 'mastermind' behind this, but what is being
proposed has huge legal ramifications that are not properly thought through;
needless to say that the whole registration environment will change
completely with such a dispute in place.

KK

--
Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,
Lecturer in Law,