[council] Response to request from GNSO Council for follow up information on WHOIS studies

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Wed Apr 7 20:36:01 CEST 2010

Hi

In the past we've indicated a fairly blanket lack of interest in studies.   Now with the process moving forward shall we stick to this stance, or might we want to provide more differentiated input that could help shape the direction?

Best,

Bill

On Apr 7, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Under Agenda Item 3 (Whois Studies) on 1 April, Council members were encouraged to discuss and evaluate the Whois studies with their respective Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies and be prepared to provide budget direction to submit a request for funds for Fiscal Year 11 at the next Council meeting on 21 April 2010.  In that meeting our goal will be to discuss specific budget recommendations for Whois Study funding.
>
> If you have not already done so, please discuss this with your respective groups.  I strongly encourage submittal of proposals for funding in advance so if any of your group members have ideas, please submit them to the Council list, preferably at least eight days in advance of 21 April so that the rest of us can share the proposals with our groups before the meeting.
>
> Thanks, Chuck
>

> From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen at icann.org>
> Date: March 31, 2010 8:48:11 PM GMT+02:00
> To: "'GNSO Council '" <council at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: [council] WHOIS documents posted
>

> Dear All,
>
> Please note on the 'Issues page'
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/
>
> that the following documents relating to WHOIS have been recently posted:
>
> # WHOIS Current Activity (updated April 2010)
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-update-01apr10-en.htm
>
> # Inventory of WHOIS Service Requirements - Initial Report (26 March 2010)
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-service-requirements-initial-report-26mar10-en.pdf
>
> # Whois Studies Report for GNSO 23 March 2010
> http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-studies-report-for-gnso-23mar10-en.pdf

> From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster at icann.org>
> Date: April 6, 2010 2:59:38 AM GMT+02:00
> To: GNSO Council List <council at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: [council] Response to request from GNSO Council for follow up information on WHOIS studies
>
> All,
>
> On the GNSO Council’s 1 April 2010 call, Council members began to discuss staff’s recent report analyzing information gathered to-date on proposed studies of WHOIS. That report is posted here:http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-studies-report-for-gnso-23mar10-en.pdf , summarized by slides: http://gnso.icann.org/correspondence/whois-studies-presentation-01apr10-en.pdf.

> [...]

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and