Posicion de Internauta Argentina por el cctld .hn

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Wed Sep 30 16:34:59 CEST 2009

Caro Jorge,

While I agree that in this list we have to concentrate on ICANN issues
per se regarding non-commercial domain name holders, I am sure you and
our colleagues agree we are confronting a serious political issue here,
as we have confronted severe political issues (regarding basically the
balance of power between business and other constituencies) in our
relationship with the ICANN system in defending those non-profit
interests. So we should first of all never be afraid of political issues
(and political discourses in consequence, of course).

Secondly, recalling that we are a non-profit non-commercial
constituency, a civil society organization which does far more than just
distribute .hn domains is under strong pressure by a dictatorship which
even the OAS recognizes as illegal, and the current power holders
committed a series of crimes also recognized by the OAS and the
international community. What else do you need? I agree we need to
moderate discourse in our official stataments, but maybe a coup d'etat
is no longer a crime, irrespective of what ICANN can officially say (if
it will ever say anything)??

The argument of "stability" is too generic in this case -- a government
can perfectly run a ccTLD DNS, as several examples demonstrate, with
stability, sometimes more stability than several other ccTLDs run by
private companies or academic organizations.

The central issue is, on the one hand, that this is a resource which
amounts to the identity of the country on the Internet (unlike a gTLD),
which ought to be treated as an asset of the commons, not just a
unilateral government service (even Argentina is recognizing this)
subject to arbitrary decisions. On the other hand, it is being managed
by a qualified non-profit (our turf, remember that) since the early
90's, and only now a dictatorship (sorry, I do not need to climb on a
soapbox to use this term) suddenly discovers it has to grab it (for what
purpose exactly??).

As NCUC member, I think NCUC needs to be clearly more proactive than
"oh, I am concerned about the stability of the DNS, please, interim
president Micheletti, I respectfully ask you not to do anything which
affects this stability...". A NCUC statement is one thing, what ICANN
can do is another.

So, in summary, I think we have more than enough facts for NCUC to do a
statement clearly supportive of RDS-HN, and we need to work on it,
including what we think ICANN should do.

fraternal regards

--c.a.

--

Carlos A. Afonso