Hearing in DC on New gTLDs yesterday

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Thu Sep 24 21:47:48 CEST 2009

Although Kathy and Konstantinos met with ICANN staff in their personal
capacities, their previous work on trademark protection and new gTLDs
formed the basis for NCUC's position as well as our collaborative
statement with ALAC regarding the IRT's recommendations. Given the
demands on everyone's volunteer time due to the increased GNSO workload
- and here, a thank you to everyone who's volunteered or joined a
working group! - it's good to know they are continuing to work on the
issues.

The GNSO Council has not yet received formal notification of the
specific recommendations upon which community input is likely to be
sought. I'll be sure to inform everyone once that information comes in,
because it will be necessary to engage and discuss the possibility of
crafting workable solutions, hopefully through consensus, in that
forum.

Finally - and please know that I am not trying to be negative here - it
was probably fortuitous for NCUC that the IRT discussions took place
amidst enhanced sensitivity on ICANN's parts in relation both to
"external" concerns (e.g. the JPA) and more "internal" pressures (e.g.
the GNSO and SG transition). In this regard, perceptions, relationships
and working across "party lines" will be critical as we launch the new
NCSG and negotiate its final charter. As I said on the constituency call
yesterday, I (again) urge everyone to refrain from framing/describing
any of the issues on which NCUC may take positions as battles,
victories, fights or any other language that perpetuates an image of our
constituency as constantly combative.

Of course, there will be (and there has been) times when we will need
to defend our stand as persuasively, strongly and broadly as possible
(and the misunderstandings over the NCSG Charter is one such example). I
just think that we will be much more effective - both on such issues as
well as more generally within ICANN-land - if we are generally watchful
in choosing the language we use in public.

Not everyone will agree with me on this, and I am not trying to finger
anyone or any particular incident - this is just my own personal opinion
after a year in the ICANN trenches!

Best,
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> Robin Gross <robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG> 9/24/2009 2:36 PM >>>
Thanks, Kathy, for that update on the hearing yesterday (I've been
looking for a copy of the audio of that hearing with no luck so far).

That is also great to hear the news about the changes being made to the
IRT (like dropping GPML) and sending some parts of that back to the GNSO
for community input.  That is what we asked for in Sydney (and now we
have to do that work which we asked for)  :-)

Thank you!
Robin