My opinion on the Consumer Constituency

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Sep 23 17:14:50 CEST 2009

Just to follow up a bit more. The reason this is important is because of the charter issue.

NCUC and civil society made a good faith concession: we accepted a completely unfair situation (3 Board appointed seats, and a SIC NCSG charter that imposes this awful constituency model on us) in order to help ICANN get the GNSO reforms rolling by Seoul. In exchange, we asked that this situation be TEMPORARY. That we have a clean-slate review of the NCSG charter, that ALAC and others negotiate with us about finding a model that we can both agree on. This allows the Board to correct what is obviously a mistake.

For that honest and open review to take place, you cannot create new constituencies under the SIC charter model. Because once you do that, you've locked the SIC charter into place. You won't be able to implement the NCUC's model of the NCSG without abolishing the Consumer Constituency that was just created. That is unlikely to happen.

That is why the NCUC unanimously asked the Board to defer the creation of new constituencies.

Why, then, did ALAC go on the warpath against NCUC and try to interfere with that by systematically organizing all the RALOs and ALAC in an attempt to ask the Board to reject our request?

For Adam to suggest that this is all about personalities and not being polite is just wrong. There is a lot more at stake here. Those folks know what they are doing and why they are doing it. If an unvarnished description of their actions shocks people it isn't my problem. As usual, I get blamed for telling the truth about this situation, while the people trying to pull a fast one posture as these poor, wounded parties. Nope, sorry Adam, I am not the slightest bit apologetic, and if I've broken some unspoken ICANN codes about not calling a spade a spade, then I'd suggest there's something unhealthy about communication in ICANN and not something wrong with me.

--MM