Dynamic Coallition on ICANN Accountability and International Conformity - IAIC at IGF?

McTim mctim at BUSHNET.NET
Wed Sep 16 12:24:19 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> There is resistance within the MAG, especially most of the notions
> against this are coming from MAG members that are already very active
> inside ICANN Board and belong to the corporate sector

Janis Karklins is the only MAG member who is also a sitting ICANN
Board member, and he is a gov't rep, not corporate.

There are former ICANN Board memebrs on the MAG tho, one an academic,
one runs a consulting biz here in Kenya, and the other I identify as
CS, as he is the convenor of AfNOG.

, even the one
> from my region whom I thought was the representative of the Civil
> Society from my region and serves on GNSO....so it is true that the
> private sector participating on key roles in ICANN has responded very
> negative

I'm sure this is because it seems like a bad idea.

....can members join the Internet Governance Caucus to the IGF
> and join this thread:

I don't understand this at all. On the governance list, Danny Younger said:

"Interesting.  ICANN puts up a public forum dealing with Proposed
Bylaw Changes to Improve Accountability and not a single member of
this community posts any comments whatsoever.  Instead, community
members tell us about plenary activities that are held that still
don't result in any meaningful comments on accountability being put
through directly to ICANN in a timely fashion.

If you really cared about ICANN Accountability one would think that
you would be conveying your concerns directly to ICANN when the
opportunity presented itself.  Comments may be sent to
iic-proposed-bylaws at icann.org until 25 September."

You seem to have ignored this reality.

> http://www.igcaucus.org/ and as you can read from here how to join us:
> http://www.igcaucus.org/membership
>
> If you can gather some more support, I as a MAG member can only help
> initially to facilitate the process but you dear friends are in a
> position to bridge the creation of such a dynamic coalition and
> linking ICANN as you all participate..........I can confirm you that
> with my discussions with the EU participants at the www.eurodig.org
> felt this is the right way to go but the people with private sector
> and commercial roles do not want to to go ahead with this.

Well, I am a CS person, and disagree with you.  If you want to have an
impact on ICANN, you can't do it via the IGF.

--
Cheers,

McTim