RES: List of Candidates and Last Call for Nominations for NCUC Annual Elections

Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza Carlos.Souza at FGV.BR
Sun Sep 13 03:09:18 CEST 2009

Hi everyone: as a last minute addition to our election, I would like to stand as a candidate to be a representative for South America at the NCUC Exec Committee.

Here is a short bio and a small summary of my activities at the NCUC:

Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza

I am currently a GNSO councilor for NCUC (2007-2009), ending my mandate prior to the Seoul meeting. Since I have been elected to the council I have attended all ICANN meetings (LA, Delhi, Paris, Cairo, Mexico City and Sydney) and engaged in a number of activities such as (i) the drafting of statements for NCUC to present at the Council (i.e on the "confusingly similar strings" debate on IDNs), (ii) the drafting our NCSG Charter and the cover letter to the board, (iii) the submission of comments to ICANN in several "public comment periods", such as the recent one on the new GNSO Charters, as well as (iv) the general attendance on GNSO and NCUC calls.

As ICANN´s travel support policy for GNSO Councilors only came to light in the end of my mandate, I would like to mention that my attendance of 100% of the ICANN meetings during the last two years was possible through the generous support of a number of sponsors, such as the Getulio Vargas Foundation, which is institution I work for, Ford Foundation (for the LA meeting) and the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee (for the Sydney one). ICANN has supported my flight ticket for the Delhi and Mexico meetings.

I am the vice-coordinator of the Center for Technology and Society (CTS), a research and teaching center established at the law school of Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV), in Rio de Janeiro. We are one of the leading academic institutions in Brazil to approach a number of issues pertaining to the interplay between law and technology, focusing especially in intellectual property (we represent Creative Commons in Brazil), privacy and general internet governance issues.

I have graduated in law at the Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio) and hold a master and a PhD degree in Civil Law from the State University of Rio de Janeiro (UERJ). I teach Contract Law and Intellectual Property Law at the graduation course of FGV Law School, as well as Contracts at PUC-Rio. I am also a member of the Commission for the Protection of Consumers in E-Commerce, created by the Brazilian Ministry of Justice and member of the Copyright Commission of the Brazilians´ Bar Association (Rio de Janeiro).

At the IGF I have participated in some dynamic coalitions, especially in the former Internet Bill of Rights DC, being one of its founding members and the organizer of a workshop on the topic during last years´ ISummit. At this year´s regional IGF, in Rio, I was the co-chair for the dialogue panel on "Openess".

Statement of Interest (GNSO)

http://gnso.icann.org/council/soi/souza-soi-27nov07.html <http://gnso.icann.org/council/soi/souza-soi-27nov07.html>

CTS/FGV comments on the NCSG Charter

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/msg00059.html <http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/msg00059.html>

Best,
Carlos

Vice-coordenador
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade (CTS)
Escola de Direito da Fundação Getulio Vargas/RJ
tel. 55 21 3799-6065
caf at fgv.br