Nominations procedures?

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Sep 7 20:01:50 CEST 2009

Thanks, Cedric!

The NCUC Charter contains more specific info about duties of
Executive Committee Members and GNSO Counsel Representatives.
   http://icann-ncuc.ning.com/page/charter-1

For the Executive Committee (EC), I estimate that it takes 5-10 hours
of volunteer time per week, and the term is one year.  EC members
should help with membership and conduct outreach to their own
geographical regions, approve budgets, ballots, handle appeals,
appoint representatives to the Nominating Committee, PIR Committee,
and similar other duties.

The GNSO Council Representative is generally more work than EC - both
in the time commitment and expected output.  GNSO Councilors
volunteer from 10-20 hours per week (some weeks less, and during
ICANN mtg weeks, much more).  The term is for TWO years for GNSO
Council.

ICANN has finally agreed to provide constituencies with a minimal
level of travel support so we can bring 3 people to ICANN meetings.
NCUC's policy is to use that support to bring our 3 GNSO Councilors
to the meeting (if they don't already have their travel costs covered
from somewhere else, like a university or NGO).   If a councilor
doesn't travel or need funding from NCUC, we can allocate that travel
funding slot to another member who needs to be at the meeting and has
no other means of getting there, like an EC member or a member active
in a GNSO working group that will be the hot topic at the ICANN meeting.

One thing I'd for us to do more of in the next year, is fund raising
so we can bring more members to ICANN meetings.  It is very
frustrating for the commercial constituencies and ICANN staff to
complain about "how small NCUC is" in attendance numbers at these
ICANN meetings.  Of course it costs $2-4k to bring a body to these
meetings and as there is no economic interest supporting our
participation (by definition), we don't get the same kind of numbers
in person at ICANN meetings that we have who participate in the
mailing list and within the constituency otherwise.  So our lack of
physical presence at ICANN meetings continues to perpetuate the myth
that NCUC is "small", even though we have 154 noncommercial
organizations and individuals as members.

Please let me know if you have any more questions on this.
Considering our incredible membership growth in the last year, we
should have quite a few fine candidates from all regions and in all
positions.

Best,
Robin

w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org