Hearing in DC on New gTLDs yesterday

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Sep 24 20:36:01 CEST 2009

Thanks Kathy for this update, it is really helpful. Unfortunately I was not
able to be in Washington (although I would have loved to) but I have heard
the transcripts of the testimonies.
Kathy is correct, we have won a big fight here. The fact that the most
dangerous piece of the IRT - the GPML - looks like its going, is a big
victory. The other two things will go to the GNSO and that is something we
need to take advantage of. we have the ideas in place as well as innovative
solutions - we really do have, what I believe is a very good argument with
both the URS and the Clearinghouse.
Trademark owners at this stage keep on repeating the same argument, while we
come forward with novel and balanced solutions. Richard Heath's testimony at
least is a repetition of the IRT arguments - in our meeting back in August,
we managed to make Brent and Doug see that many of the IRT's arguments
(repeated by INTA) do not fall within the remit of intellectual property
much less trademark law.
So, I think, Seoul will be a good chance for all of us to repeat the success
of Sydney. Much more work is needed but we have what I believe is the
groundwork - and this is great.

Best
KK

--