NCUC Response to Board Letter

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Oct 22 03:41:37 CEST 2009

Thank you for your clarification, Nick.  I'm sure you did not intend
to cause further confusion and perpetuate misperceptions about NCUC's
position.

I'll ask again:  Would you please forward NCUC's letter (attached
again) that tries to clear up this misperception to the ALAC list?

Thank you,
Robin

On Oct 21, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:

> Dear Robin:
>
> Thanks for your note.
>
> Firstly, I think it is important to state that contrary to the
> subject line of your email, I am not trying to stir up anything. It
> seems to me that it is not helpful to assume the worst with respect
> to the motivations of others, as it is my experience that one is
> likely to be wrong far more often than one is right, which is
> unfortunately the case here. You and I have known and worked with
> one another for almost ten years now, much longer than I have been
> involved in ICANN. During that time, I cannot think of any point at
> which we have suggested that the other persons motivations were
> anything other than as stated "on the tin."
>
> Having reviewed your letter of 18th August 2009, I note that you
> have said in your point 3:
>
> "Third, because of the danger of locking in a suboptimal structure,
> we ask you not to approve any new Constítuencies under the SIC and
> ICANN staff-imposed transitional NCSG charter until the ongoing
> debates over the status of Constituencies and their role in the
> NCSG is resolved next year."
>
> I think it is therefore fair to say that where I said:
>
> "… the NCUC had asked the Board to refrain from approving any new
> GNSO Constituencies for the two year Non Commercial Stakeholder
> Group Transition period.  …"
>
> I should have said:
>
> "… the NCUC had asked the Board to refrain from approving any new
> GNSO Constituencies until "the ongoing debates over the status of
> Constituencies and their role in the NCSG is resolved next year""
>
> As that would have precisely quoted you and what you said.
>
> I am therefore happy to apologise for the above, which I hope you
> will accept; I have copied the same two mailing lists that the
> original email was sent to in order to ensure that everyone who
> received the original has received this reply. As I think my reply
> to the NCUC-Discuss list will bounce, I would be glad if you
> forwarded this note to that list too.
>
> On a personal note, I look forward to seeing you in Seoul, and hope
> your travels are as comfortable as is possible on such a long flight.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org