Charter of Human Rights and Principles on the Internet - Why we have rights

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 18 06:45:45 CEST 2009

Hello Marc,

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Marc Perkel <marc at churchofreality.org> wrote:

> I apologize for not having participated in this forum as much as I should
> but I have a few thoughts as to WHY there should be Internet rights in the
> first place. I just thought I'd throw these ideas out into this email list
> and see how it evolves.

It would appear the Fins just did it. Talk of 'fast evolving' ideas;)

---
By Claudine Beaumont, Technology Editor

The Finnish government has passed a law that entitles every person to
a one megabit-per-second internet connection.

Finland's Ministry of Transport and Communications has committed to
ensuring that every person in Finland can access the internet at a
minimum speed of one megabit per second from July next year.

The Finnish government had already committed to rolling out 100
megabits per second broadband connections across the country by 2015.
It's the first country in the world to make universal minimum internet
access speeds a legal requirement....

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/6337698/Finland-makes-fast-broadband-a-legal-right.html>