Your comments are most welcome

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Tue Oct 13 11:36:50 CEST 2009

Dear Alex,

You have certainly every reason to be worrying about paragraph 20 of the
Regulations - but I would extend this worry to the whole section. According
to its wording, Registrars are legitimized to proceed to content-related and
apply any other subjective criteria until they manage to 'satisfy themselves
that the name so submitted". This is very dangerous. It gives an
unprecedented level of discretion to registrars to proceed to evaluations
that fall completely outside their scope. the system can be gamed and abused
easily, mainly by trademark owners but not only. Registrars are not
authorized legal agents and they should not act accordingly. Especially
since the regulation imposes such harsh penalties, leaving such wide
discretion to registrars endangers the whole idea behind registering domain
names (innovation, entrepreneurship, etc). In what capacity will registrars
operate and what criteria will they apply in determining "contrary to the
law" and " does not infringe the rights of third parties"?

Finally, the registrar is given too much power being able to revoke the name
at any time and I also find a, b, c, and d highly vague and problematic.
Only courts or an ADR is system - if is applicable and legitimate - can
determine these issues. Not registrars, which they only perform technical
management of the domain names. imagine for instance what would happen if
NSI were to determine whether a domain name is contrary to the law or
infringes the rights of third parties. it would be dangerous and would
create legal upheaval.

Hope this helps.

KK

--