Sitefinder

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Oct 4 05:52:00 CEST 2009

I changed the heading here, partly because I was tired of seeing Steve DelBianco's arguments being taken seriously (he is paid by VeriSign to take their position) and partly because the discussion has veered off in several directions.

Regarding Sitefinder, one of the ironies surrounding that issue was that what VeriSign was prohibited from doing, is now rather routine for ISPs and even browser manufacturers.

Two examples, just tested on my own computer-internet link:

I type "blog" into my browser URL window. Do I get a DNS error or a 404 error message? No, I go to Google's blogger.com. I was using Firefox and Google and Firefox have a deal.

OK, so I type blog.vrx into my window, knowing full well that there is no .vrx top level domain. Do I get a dns error message? No, I get a message from my ISP (Time-Warner's Roadrunner) - a page of links called "Website suggestions." It says "Sorry, we couldn't find blog.vrx," and then contains a page of links, including:

Blogging Guidelines
Should Bloggers Be Mandated To Follow A Code Of Ethics?
www.ResponsibilityProject.com

Get a Personal Blog at - Web Hosts
Want to start a Blog? These Web Hosts Will let you Start One.
PrudentBusiness.org

Make Money Blogging?
Learn the fastest way to a money making blog
BlogMastermind.com

I am not too outraged by this. The difference here is that I have a choice of web browsers and (somewhat more constrained) ISPs.