DNS Scaling issues

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 28 17:45:49 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> The autonomica report was torn apart in the 15 minutes (wow) they gave for public Q&A. The TNO simulation seems more systematic but they are not able to release the simulation and didn't really show any simulation results.

No wonder why, I don't believe that there was yet too much to report besides
an update on what they have been working on and what are the next steps.

To be fair, they didn't have much time to work on it, gathering some of the
information, particularly from the root zone operators, IANA, NTIA, is not
an easy task and I'm almost sure that not everything is well documented and
understood, and they were put on the spot to say "something" and given
the build up of expectations and frustrations around the gTLD program
"something" doesn't not cut it.

I'd like to see, even if preliminary more concrete plans, like what
upgrades will be required, who will do them, who will be coordinating the
effort, what are the time frames, who will provide the funding, how some
of the well known issues are being addressed like beefing up IANA, etc.

I liked the DNSSEC root signing presentation, concrete actors, concrete
actions, concrete time frames, concrete plan, even if there are arguments
around its priority.

I truly believe that the team has done a good job so far, but there is much
more work to do to be able to provide concrete answers.

Meanwhile you can put just a group of dummies sitting on the front and
several lines of microphones and let some people vent their frustrations to
the dummies.

Regards
Jorge