DNS Scaling issues

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at INTERNETGOVERNANCE.ORG
Wed Oct 28 08:34:02 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, but I have the impression that it was not as clear for some people
> that
> the studies/analysis are not yet complete/conclusive and there is
> still work to do.

Yes this became obvious as questions were asked.  E.g., one question pointed
out the problem with big jump in root scaling report graph.  It seems to
assume all TLDs are signed and publishing DS records at same time (that's
the big jump), it's far more likely it will be a gradual take up of DNSSEC
by TLDs (and some may never deploy it), therefore the growth in size and
rate of change will be slower, not immediate as the graph suggested.  The
other point raised was what exactly are the assumptions that determined the
root server capacity curve (the blue line), change the assumptions and the
capacity curve could start from a much higher point on the x axis.

IMO, it would be very imprudent to draw any recommendations from the
existing report.

Another thing and the model from TNO includes something of it, the issue of
> creating additional capacity is not only related to hardware/software/pipes
> upgrade, some of the processes (given that the root zone has been stable
> and
> growing at a very low pace) do not scale, particularly at IANA, where many
> task are still being done almost manually.

Yes,  I agree.

As I said before, big mistake from ICANN is that we should have done all
> these studies and preparatory work before starting with the DAG.
>
> Imagine having almost 10 years headroom to have the infrastructure ready.
>
> But now the recurrent question I've seen and heard several times, is how
> ICANN will select the first 100 new TLDs.

This raises another critique of the argument to sequence DNSSEC first, then
addt'l TLDs, IPv6, etc.  If we're only doing a 100 TLDs/year then the "big
jump" becomes a non-factor for a while - so we shouldn't rush signing the
root.

Regards,

Brenden