DNS Scaling issues

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 26 05:32:35 CET 2009

My pleasure Mary,

I agree with you that we as NCUC need to start covering the whole spectrum of
ICANN activities and try to take advantage of the vast expertise we all can
contribute to the process.

As a related comment to the root scaling studies, you also need to take in
account that so far all the studies are focusing on the root zone and not on
the DNS as an integral system.

There are major implications that all these changes are already manifesting
on the client side. I'm in permanent contact with a great friend and
colleague also member of NCUC from the University of La Plata in Argentina
(Eduardo Suarez) who has been performing many tests on a real and
running network at the Faculty of Astronomic Sciences.

Given that DNS is not only used for simple name resolution, it's also being used
to manage email routing, consult many different spam blocking services
that use DNS as the foundation for it, and other stuff like geo location, etc,
the increased load on a local client or small server grows dramatically when
not only the server has to dedicate more memory and CPU because of the
increased number of threads handling TCP connections, with DNSSEC you
also require many more CPU cycles to digest and process the DNSSEC

As far as I know, no studies have been included yet in the ICANN process
to have a better understanding of the entire system, there some inferences
but not actual work done on the field and particularly in places where
connectivity or computing resources are limited.

Regards
Jorge