Call for Signatures: The Civil Society Madrid Declaration

Cedric Laurant cedric at LAURANT.ORG
Sat Oct 24 13:27:45 CEST 2009

Hi Ron, Hi all,
It is indeed a time-sensitive document as it
should be released before the opening of the
international data protection commissioners
conference in Madrid on 3 November.
If anyone has a major objection to the
Declaration, he/she could voice it within a week
(for example by next Sat 31 Oct.) through this
mailing list.  Then NCUC could adopt it using the
"rough consensus" method.
Cedric
---
>Hi Ron,
>
>Normally we (and other civil society coalitions
>I know of that are involved in global policy
>debates & negotiations) don't go through
>elaborate processes like voting in order to
>offer simple endorsements of partner coalitions'
>statements, particularly when they go in the
>same direction as our own efforts, and this
>would be particularly difficult with something
>time sensitive.  Certainly I've never seen it
>done, in any event.
>
>Do you have a substantive concern with the
>document, or are you only raising a process
>point?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill
>

>On Oct 24, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Ron Wickersham wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 24 Oct 2009, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone object if NCUC as a whole signs on to this Declaration?
>>
>>suggest that we have a discussion period after the heat of the Seoul
>>meeting passes and then put it to a vote of the membership.
>>
>>ideally such a discussion would bring out where we strongly agree with
>>the Declaration and areas (if any) where we have reservations, or feel
>>the document is weak, etc.
>>
>>putting the issue to a vote of the membership, if the endorsement
>>passes, would make our constituency's signature more powerful than
>>a quick run-by on the mailing list.
>>
>>respectfully,
>>
>>-ron

>William J. Drake
>Senior Associate
>Centre for International Governance
>Graduate Institute of International and
>  Development Studies
>Geneva, Switzerland
>william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
>www.graduateinstitute.ch/cig/drake.html

Cedric Laurant, Esq.
Consultant
<cedric -a t -laurant - do t - org> - Skype: cedrichl
http://www.linkedin.com/in/cedriclaurant