special trademark issues in new gtlds

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Oct 19 20:13:08 CEST 2009

Dear All,

It looks like the new GNSO group to deal with "special trademark
issues" (formerly known as "IRT") is getting up and running.  It also
looks like each constituency will appoint 2-3 people to serve on this
group and that much of its work will be done in Seoul next week.

We should begin to formulate our constituency response as soon as
possible.

I understand there are a number of changes in the trademark policies
in the DAGv3 from previous versions.   Now it is in the hands of the
GNSO members until 14 December to work through the unresolved
issues.   This will be an important topic at the GNSO sessions on the
weekend, so we should try to have our position formulated before then
to the extent possible.  We will spend some time on Constituency Day
discussing these issues, but that is too late to be useful for
participants in the weekend sessions.

It would be very helpful if those members of the constituency who
have reviewed the new DAG v3 could provide the rest of us with some
guidance on how NCUC should respond moving forward in light of the
Board's letter to the GNSO.

Especially those who would like to represent NCUC in this new GNSO
work group, can you please provide us with some understanding of what
the issues are that remain and what NCUC's position should be on
those issues?

Thank you very much!

Best,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org