"NCUC opposes constituencies"

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Oct 18 23:46:17 CEST 2009

> Essentially, it seems as if both Roberto and the SIC have already
> more or less conceded our main point.

True, but the problem is that Roberto's acceptance of the flaws of the constituency-silo model doesn't necessarily mean that he accepts our proposal for the charter. The SIC charter doesn't provide for an integrated, SG-wide election but rather suggests that the Executive Committee somehow "negotiates" a solution to the distribution of seats.

Which in some ways is worse than a simple allocation formula, because it pushes all the power and decision making authority away from the membership and up to the SG executive committee -- which the Board can stack at will -- and means that we waste even more time with internal politics. ;-(