NCUC-ALAC get together in Seoul

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Fri Oct 16 13:15:40 CEST 2009

Hi,

Well, being the NCUC liaison to ALAC, I decided to liaise.  While no
formal meeting has been set for Seoul (which to me is a pity but
whatever), that doesn't mean that interested folks can't get together
for more informal chatting about mutual concerns and such.  Getting to
know and understand each other better seems a worthy use of our scarce
time, especially since, as others who are also in both camps can
attest, we often are having parallel conversations with parallel views
being expressed, and ought to be working together where possible to
advance public interest representation in ICANN.  So I wrote to ALAC
and proposed an informal, agenda-free round of libation and/or dinner
on Monday night after the IDN ccTLD fast track reception (meaning
people may already be well lubricated), and more than a dozen people
responded favorably, which is encouraging.  I hope we can muster a
good NCUC contingent to make this work!

The path of least resistance would probably be to simply gather in the
lobby at 8pm and then head off somewhere, we can ask the concierge for
suggestions based on the body count.  Given the responses on the ALAC
side I'm guessing/hoping maybe 20-30 people unless the reception etc
proves centrifugal.

My mobile is +41 78 635 4888 if someone fails to make the connection
and wants to join later wherever we end up.

Please do come if you're free, some bridge building would be
constructive.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake