NCUC in Seoul: Registry / Registrar separation

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Oct 16 01:06:14 CEST 2009

I should be able to attend it. Assuming I count as an "expert"

________________________________
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Wong
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:01 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC in Seoul: Registry / Registrar separation

Joly and everyone,

The Seoul ICANN meeting schedule includes a discussion of the separation issue on Monday October 16 (3-4.30 p.m.), with Kurt Pritz (SVP Services), Craig Schwartz (Chief gTLD Registry Liaison) and Tim Cole (Chief Registrar Liaison).

Since our constituency requested an Issues Report on the issue within the GNSO, and in view of the expertise amongst our membership, will any member be in Seoul and be able to attend this session?

Thanks,
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu<mailto:mwong at piercelaw.edu>
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> Joly MacFie <joly at PUNKCAST.COM> 10/13/2009 2:54 PM >>>
An article in today's Internet News details arguments on both sides of
the question of seperation of registrars and  registries when it comes
to new TLDs.

http://is.gd/4hThP

Network Solutions suggest allowing registries to sell the the first 100k to get
the ball rolling.

Afilias argues for seperation from the word go.

Comments?

Joly MacFie  917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com