preliminary notes from 30 Sept. board meeting online

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Tue Oct 13 14:35:20 CEST 2009

On 13 Oct 2009, at 14:06, William Drake wrote:

>> i would recommend adding consideration of:
>>
>> c: That they have consulted with the consumer protection
>> constituents already in the NCUC and can show why this is not
>> duplication
>> d. That they be able to show that they are already viable in terms
>> of having an active membership and an email list and have started
>> creating postions and having enough people to start really
>> contributing to the working groups
>
>> e. That the new charter be again put out for review before final
>> Board approval
>>
>> (these are the kind of things that i think should be standard for
>> all new constituencies)
>
> I'm fine with these, but wouldn't adding more conditions (under
> which what, we won't complain?) invite more push back from board,
> staff, proponents?  I was thinking timing and actually nonprofit
> were a minimalist set of criteria it's harder to argue against.  I
> guess we'll see how it all plays soon enough.

I guess I would have to recommend that all the reasonable conditions
for accepting a new constituency should be laid out at the start.
Adding conditions later on seems like the kind of tactic others have
engaged in too frequently in the GNSO environment.  Better to have the
Board know up front what seems reasonable.  If you go into this
meeting with a bare minimalist position, when you compromise in the
end (and one always has to compromise to get anything in the end) you
will get less then your bare minimum.

I do not think that we should present unreasonable requests, but I
think the 3 I suggested are reasonable for all constituencies
anywhere, and I think of them as being a minimum.  Lets put it this
way, if you wanted to form a working group in the IETF these kind of
things are basic, and there they are only talking about ephemeral
technical discussion groups, not permanent entities to form the policy
for the Internet in general.  These are thing that should be simple
for any real constituency to show - again I use the cities
constituency as an example.  They have all of this and more.

While the negotiating group has to be polite, reasonable and concise,
it does not need to sell itself short.  I think it is reasonable to be
determined that a new constituency be real and a substantive entity
before it becomes a constituency.

(And remember, this is from someone who in general has always
supported the creation of constituencies within an SG structure with
flat voting of some sort.)

a.