OReilly Media on "ICANN without restraints: the difficulties of coordinating stakeholders"

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 4 23:50:11 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> In many ways the AoC was a great move, especially for the US government, because it got us out of the rut we were stuck in regarding U.S. control.
>
> But no one should be fooled or confused into thinking that the AoC solves ICANN's basic accountability problems. It doesn't.

I am a little 'confused' as to what one can simply describe ICANN?  “a
nonprofit public benefit corporation” - ICANN bylaws ?

--'Reactions to ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments' (at the homepage)--

Apparently now private sector and governments dominate ICANN
(evidently on impression). Or it would appear reactions authors are
describing 'different ICANNs'? Just a few mention Civil Society
involvement or importance. Copied from scrolling textbox and pasted
onto a text document then picked comments touching on "What is ICANN".

1. “a recognition and endorsement of the private sector-led model”

2. “a balanced way to bring all governments into the oversight process
alongside private sector stakeholders”

3. “true multi stakeholder's model”

4. “a public-private partnership can work to the advantage of all stakeholders.”

5. “full involvement of and cooperation with all stakeholders, public
and private players as well as the civil society.”

6. “other governments and the private sector can participate on an
equal basis with the U.S. government.”

7. “a global, stakeholder and private sector driven manager of the
Internet domain name system”

8. “an organization that can serve the world's interest”

9. “found what's been missing at ICANN: a balanced way to bring all
governments into the oversight process alongside private sector
stakeholders”

10. “reporting to all interested parties - governments, internet
community, business”

11. “multi-actor model of ICANN”

12. “puts the public interest front and center”

13. “a public sector led organization”

14. “broad acceptance among civil society, businesses and governments alike”

15. “keeping balanced all participating parties' interests”

16. “true multi stakeholder's model - where each participant is
sharing the same importance”

17. “governments and the private sector can participate on an equal
basis with the U.S. government”

--on earlier (Smith-Coble letter of 15 September)

18.“the principal private sector organization charged with ...”

> If there is anything to celebrate, it is that we are in a better position to understand and respond to these accountability problems now that ICANN's supervision is solely under the U.S. Commerce Dept.

Would the accountability problem be rooted on the definition of ICANN?
What is ICANN besides "what it does" or "how it does it"? And how do
stakeholders perceive or wish it were?

Alex