Contrast Beckstrom's interview with DelBianco's Argument Against New TLDs

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 2 10:08:57 CEST 2009

As for the generic top level domains, there's still a range of
opinion. They are a little more complex, because there will never be a
solution that suits everyone - we're doing it to create competition,
and the people who don't want more competition don't like it. But we
are moving forward with an aggressive time frame.

Nevali: What's the benefit of gTLDs? Why doesn't Icann forget about
expanding the number of top-level domains and just oversee what the
country code administrators are doing?

RB: The owners of those country codes already have the power to do
pretty much anything they want. But it's not an answer because if you
open up the root, you open up new gTLDs anyway. It's in our mandate to
create new top level domains, so we're doing the right thing - but
it's a very difficult problem.

EllyD: How is Icann trying to improve the arbitration process for
victims of domain theft?

RB: We are proposing a new mechanism - uniform rapid suspension. There
is a proposal and we're deliberating it.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/oct/02/rod-beckstrom-questions>

and

2. 'In Congress, A Confusing Argument Against New TLDs'

<http://www.circleid.com/posts/in_congress_a_confusing_argument_against_new_tlds/>