[At-Large] Fwd: Board appointments to fill 3 non-commercial seats on the new Council

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Oct 1 19:25:09 CEST 2009

David
Sympathy is not the issue here; the issue is that the entire representational structure of ICANN is supposed to be based on some basic stakeholder categories that are balanced. A person who represents commercial users of telecom services is NOT a proper representative of noncommercial stakeholders. (And I know, I spent 20 years in telecom policy circles and know various INTUG people and user groups in various countries. Your typical member of a telecom user group is a corporate network manager who purchases dedicated lines and telephone/internet services from vendors and lobbies for lower prices for business services.) Nothing wrong with that, it's just not bringing a noncommercial perspective into the policy debate. This is not a criticism of Ms. Sinclair, it's a criticism of the ICANN process and an irresponsible Board that is abusing its already illegitimate authority to appoint our representatives.

You don't see someone from EFF being appointed to represent commercial stakeholders on the grounds that they hung around their meetings and seemed sympathetic to some of their concerns, do you? ;-)

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org