NCSG Principles for trademark protection in new gTLDs

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 5 15:11:33 CET 2009

Thanks Avri for bringing this up. I think non-mandatory is an essential element and hope that we continue to stress it.
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Avri Doria [avri at LTU.SE]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:15 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] NCSG Principles for trademark protection in new gTLDs

Hi,

One other thing we discussed, though I do not know if there was
consensus on it was that, none of these mechanisms could be mandatory.

i.e.
- If a registry wants to use a Clearinghouse ok, but it can't be
required.
- Likewise if a Registry want to allow for URS, it may, but it should
not be required.

a.