NCSG Principles for trademark protection in new gTLDs

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Thu Nov 5 06:32:45 CET 2009

Expanding a little on Avri's point (below), members may recall that in 2007, the GNSO convened a working group (WG) to consider means for Protecting the Rights of Others. In its final report, the WG did not reach consensus on every point, although what Avri pointed out is a major recommendation in the WG's report. So, as we consider how best to handle the most recent developments in the trademark/new gTLD interface - including the Board's request to the GNSO to respond to the possible establishment of a Trademark Clearinghouse and a rapid suspension system for blatant infringements - members may find the attached background documents useful, particularly as one of the Board's requests to the GNSO community was to consider the extent to which these two mechanisms conform to the GNSO's own previous recommendations.

The two attached documents are the Final WG Report on Protecting the Rights of Others (which includes an attempted, but ultimately not agreed on, definition of what those rights are), and the ICANN staff's subsequent summary of the report in an Explanatory Memorandum to (I believe) the initial DAG.

Some of you may also know that WIPO has just proposed some form of rapid suspension that will complement the existing UDRP - the GNSO's Special Trademark Interests (STI) review team (the NCSG members of which Kathy listed in her email) will likely be considering how this development might have an impact on the GNSO policy recommendations for a rapid suspension system going forward.

We have a wealth of expertise and experience amongst our members on technical, operational and policy aspects of the new gTLD issue, so please contact any of our STI team members with your suggestions and questions, or post them to this list.

Thanks
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> Avri Doria <avri at LTU.SE> 11/4/2009 11:15 PM >>>
Hi,

One other thing we discussed, though I do not know if there was
consensus on it was that, none of these mechanisms could be mandatory.

i.e.
- If a registry wants to use a Clearinghouse ok, but it can't be
required.
- Likewise if a Registry want to allow for URS, it may, but it should
not be required.

a.