NCSG/STI position paper

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Nov 12 10:44:49 CET 2009

Dear NCSGers,

Please find attached the NCSG position paper on the work we are currently doing in the STI. For those of you who were in Seoul, you will see that the paper reflects what we have agreed on our constituency day. So far we have held 4 telephone meetings (2 on the Clearinghouse and 2 on the URS) and so far discussions have been very interesting with much debate and strong positions. For us, representing registrants and non-commercial groups, some principles, like due process and fairness is of pivotal importance and all of us in the STI are trying hard to ensure that any proposals put in place will reflect these basic concerns.

The proposals attached is our starting point for moving forward and away from what the staff has recommended. What we all need to bear in mind is that the default position is the staff recommendations which NCSG is fully opposing as they do not address our concerns nor do they respect due process and fairness. Since this is the case, we need to ensure that we will reach consensus as we don't want to go back to the staff recommendations. All the communities will have to come together to suggest something that takes us away from the current set of recommendations .

Please let the STI team know whether you have any questions.

Best
Konstantinos

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,
Law Lecturer,