What DNS Is Not

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 9 00:25:17 CET 2009

Great article by Paul Vixie, What the DNS is Not

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302

In the technical community we have been talking for years about
how the DNS is being used for something it was not intended for and
how monetization
of names and certain uses of the DNS is mostly based on smoke and mirrors which
in the long term may produce another exploding ball.

On the other hand there are some of us (me included) that believe that
since there
is so much money involved in today's domain name business, any new technology
or architecture to create a global directory or a better scheme for
resource naming
and location will find tremendous resistance from the market.

Regards
Jorge