Human rights impact assessment

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Nov 5 10:56:20 CET 2009

Dear all,
Apologies for getting a bit late in this discussion, but in between the STI, writing a book and teaching, I am very slow with email at the time. At the STI face-to-face meeting in Seoul, NSCG suggested that we sunset the URS and in the meantime suggest a close and structured review of the UDRP. I am personally very much in favour of seeing the UDRP being amended for various reasons. The UDRP is now more than 10 years old and since its creation it has not been subjected to any sizeable amendment. This for me is highly problematic as its case-law is used as precedent and with zero checks and balances mistakes (both substantive and procedural) get replicated - a vicious circle. I have already started selling the idea for amending the UDRP and, surprisingly enough, I do not see much objection. Of course, each constituency will seek to promote its own interests, but at the bottom line, it seems like an amendment is welcome.
To answer Milton's excellent question: for me, I believe that at this stage the fast-track process proposed by WIPO is the worst that can happen. We have to remember that when it comes to UDRP services, WIPO is not acting as an intergovernmental organization, but as an ICANN accredited centre. This means that WIPO should follow processes and rules as directed by ICANN and cannot venture in this by itself. The ICANN process follows the bottom-up model according to its charter and rules, whilst WIPO seems to have consulted only the biased panellists that currently decide on its case law. (I explain all the issues I believe are problematic in the CircleId post). The fact that only WIPO is undertaking this process (in the midst of ICANN's own process) is highly problematic for registrants as well as the other providers - I am really surprised that the other 3 accredited centres have not been vocal on this. Trademark owners - and this is based on the experience over the past ten years - will definitely go for the WIPO process, which by custom will definitely replace the UDRP. If WIPO was an easy way for the trademark community to get the domain names they have their eyes on (remember that WIPO has the highest number of cases in favour of the complainant), then with this fast-track process WIPO is in it big time. It might overshadow STI's work or it may not - in any case it clouds the whole ICANN/STI process, which is representative and transparent (yes I know!!!)
So, I really suggest that we suggest a review of the UDRP. As Mary said and I agree, we can wait and see what will happen with the STI after this week and then we can discuss it extensively in our list. But, I personally and I am not speaking as STI, NCSG, believe that we need to move fast to an amendment of the UDRP.
Best
Konstantinos

From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Milton L Mueller
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:05 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Human rights impact assessment

Mary:
WIPO's recent move to create a "fast track UDRP" in which they show they are competing with a prospective URS in terms of shortcutting respondent's rights provides an opening to do this

I see that Konstantinos is all over it:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20091102_wipo_fast_track_udrp_process_flawed/

For our trademark experts, I have a question: which is worse, the proposed URS or the fast track UDRP? Can the latter be used to get rid of the former?

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org<http://internetgovernance.org/>