Human rights impact assessment

Andrew A. Adams a.a.adams at READING.AC.UK
Sun Nov 1 14:13:55 CET 2009

milton Mueller wrote:
> This is a fantastic idea, Rebecca.
> As you may know, some of us have been trying to get free expression concerns
> as an officially recognized part of ICANN's agenda for some time (back to
> the beginning, in fact).
> We learned during the new gTLD policy making process (e.g., the "morality
> and public order" section) how difficult that will be and we have learned
> that the U.S. government is completely indifferent, at least the Commerce
> Department that controls relations with ICANN.

I recently attended a talk by David Drummond, Chief Legal Officer and Senior
VP at Google, on Technology and Freedom of Speech. He (and by extension,
Google, since he was speaking officially for the company) have a policy of
promoting freedom of speech quite broadly. They might be a useful ally in
such an effort.