Kleiman's comments on the Trademark proposals

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Tue May 26 13:06:11 CEST 2009

Fantastic Kathy ­  the essence of the new proposal is the detrimental effect
it has upon trademark law and it really sets new criteria contrary to the
way trademark rights have evolved throughout the years. It is more or less
obvious what results the new gTLD proposal will have upon trademark regimes
and I also heard the rumor that even ICANN themselves are anticipating that
the new plan is going to have a negative impact (50% failure, which is quite
high); however, it will certainly generate more money.
Unfortunately, I won¹t be in Sydney to engage in any debate but I will keep
up with the discussions. Does ICANN even take on board these concerns? Most
likely not....

Best

--
Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,