RAA

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Wed Mar 25 21:48:48 CET 2009

Thanks, Beau; that's a great idea and would certainly ensure broad participation, credibility and great input for the Charter.

If it's all right by you and others on this list, I'd like to mention the fact that NCUC and some members of ALAC will be volunteering to form/join a drafting team on tomorrow's GNSO Council call. It may be appropriate to mention this possibility to Alan Greenberg (ALAC liaison to the Council) - Beau, let me know if you think I should be the one to do so.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> "Brendler, Beau" <Brenbe at CONSUMER.ORG> 3/25/2009 11:38 AM >>>
Not sure I am allowed to post to this list but we'll give it a try, and if it doesn't work, perhaps Milton can forward. Yes, we are listening, in fact, after seeing Robin's earlier note about the RAA to Mary , I sent Robin the following note. Why don't I just open that note up to the group, since you asked, in all caps no less:
Is there something we can do here to facilitate working together with the NCUC on this? The ALAC did a fair bit of work on the RAA amendments process (actually, mostly Danny Younger and I, about nine months ago). We put together a lot of resources and had some preliminary discussions with registrars as well. I think a joint NCUC/ALAC drafting team would carry some significant weight. In addition, there are a few people in ALAC (myself included, working for Consumer Reports) who have some experience creating consumer bills of rights and such.

There's some brief background on our work here:
https://st.icann.org/raa-policy/index.cgi?raa_working_group_documents

And here:
http://www.atlarge.icann.org/announcements/announcement-02sep08-en.htm

What I am unsure of is next steps. ALAC, though not Danny, supported the most recent version of the RAA, with the specific wording that additional amendments could be added in the future as necessary. I'm not sure if Danny is up for working on this any more, but I will be happy to ask.

Perhaps Bill and I and any others who are interested can simply form a drafting team and set up a joint workspace, start a mailing list and try to get maximum participation. We should be able to get ICANN staff to assist us in this effort.

Beau Brendler