Your feedback on upcoming GNSO motions/actions

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Mar 24 21:22:00 CET 2009

Thanks Mary!  See comment below on Post-Expiration Domain Name
Recovery PDP Motion.

On Mar 23, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Mary Wong wrote:

> [...]
>
> ** 3. Initiation of a Policy Development Process (PDP) for post-
> expiration domain name expiry - I hope members can provide us with
> comments and feedback so that the Councillors can determine whether
> or not to vote to support this.

I think further exploration of this issue and the potential impact to
consumers who unintentionally lose their domain name is worth looking
into.  There isn't much detail or substance in the Issues Report on
the matter, so I guess that will have to come out in the PDP process.

I also would like to see an exploration of what the *cost* is turning
out to be for consumers who end up paying the high prices to get
their domain names back from a registrar who they feel may be holding
it hostage for a high fee.  If there is any way to get some
exploration of the costs to consumers into the PDP, it would be all
the better of a motion.

Thanks again,
Robin

Item 7: Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Policy Development
Process (PDP) decision (Alan Greenberg/Drafting Team) (10 mins)

Proposed Motion on Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery

Whereas on 05 December 2008, the GNSO received an Issues Report on
Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR);

Whereas on 29 January 2009 the GNSO Council decided to form a
Drafting Team (DT) to consider the form of policy development action
in regard to PEDNR;

Whereas a DT has formed and its members have discussed and reviewed
the issues documented in the Issues Report;

Whereas the DT has concluded that although some further information
gathering may be needed, it should be done under the auspices of a PDP;

Whereas staff has suggested and the DT concurs that the issue of
registrar transfer during the RGP might be better handled during the
IRTP Part C PDP.

The GNSO Council RESOLVES to initiate a Policy Development Process
(PDP) to address the issues identified in the Post-Expiration Domain
Name Recovery Issues Report. The charter of the Task Force or Working
Group charged with carrying out this PDP should include a mandate to
consider both Consensus Policy recommendations as well as
recommendations regarding best practices, ICANN compliance
obligations and possible RAA changes, all associated with staff
recommendations in the Issues Report section 4.2.

Specifically, consideration of the following questions:

• Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem their
expired domain names;

• Whether expiration-related provisions in typical registration
agreements are clear and conspicuous enough;

• Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of upcoming
expirations;

• Whether additional measures need to be implemented to indicate that
once a domain name enters the Auto-Renew Grace Period, it has expired
(e.g., hold status, a notice on the site with a link to information
on how to renew, or other options to be determined).

• Whether to allow the transfer of a domain name during the RGP.

The GNSO Council further resolves that the issue of logistics of
possible registrar transfer during the RGP shall be incorporated into
the charter of the IRTP Part C charter.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org