Your feedback on upcoming GNSO motions/actions

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Mon Mar 23 22:38:20 CET 2009

To follow up on Bill Drake's earlier request that members provide the three Councillors with  input on a new proposal to create fast-track IDN gTLDs, I'd like to get the Constituency's feedback on motions and actions that will be taken at this week's GNSO Council teleconference (scheduled for Thursday March 26).

PLEASE REVIEW THE FOLLOWING ITEMS (especially those marked with **) AND REPLY WITH YOUR COMMENTS (IF ANY).

The motions that will be tabled are:
1. Approval of the report on Individual Users in the GNSO (deferred from March) - NCUC was represented in this process by Bill and me; I don't anticipate much discussion or controversy over its adoption.

2. Investigation by ICANN staff over details of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) - I don't currently see this as an issue over which NCUC has a contrary position, although some members may wish to review the Working Group's recommendations (see link below).

** 3. Initiation of a Policy Development Process (PDP) for post-expiration domain name expiry - I hope members can provide us with comments and feedback so that the Councillors can determine whether or not to vote to support this.

** The action to be implemented that I think will be of interest to NCUC members relates to the motion passed in March on the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). This requires a Drafting Team to be formed to draft a Registrants' Rights Charter by July 31 - as the proposed Charter was a primary reason why the 3 NCUC Councillors voted in favor of the RAA amendments, we believe this is an Action Item that NCUC members should get involved in. Please let us know if you are interested.

The Thursday meeting agenda and further details can be found here: http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/agenda-26mar09.shtml

Thank you all very much!

Best,
Mary, Bill & Carlos