NCSG Proposal Version 6

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Mar 16 23:14:31 CET 2009

Cheryl,

You were at several meetings in Mexico where we explicitly asked for
comments and feedback on the last proposal to be incorporated into a
new version.

Presumably you chose not to send in your comments and feedback since
those meetings.

However, your comments and feedback will be welcome should you choose
to provide any.

Thanks,
Robin

On Mar 16, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Cheryl Preston wrote:

> Dear Robin,
>
> This is the first I or my constituency members have seen of these
> revisions.  We had understood we would be included in discussing
> revisions and compromise.  We do not have adequate time to respond in
> full today.  We will post responses and questions as they are prepared
> on the wiki or discussion commons for NCSG Charter proposals on the
> ICANN website,
> https://st.icann.org/ncsg-commons/index.cgi?
> non_commercial_stakeholder_group_commons.
>
> Cheryl B. Preston
> Edwin M. Thomas
> Professor of Law
> J. Reuben Clark Law School
> Brigham Young University
> 434 JRCB
> Provo, UT 84602
> (801) 422-2312
> prestonc at lawgate.byu.edu

> Attached is the revised and latest version of the NCSG proposal and
> executive summary (based on discussions in and since Mexico City).
>
> Please let me know if there are any suggestions for further
> improvements to the proposal by the end of the business day, so it
> can be submitted to the ICANN Board by the deadline.
>
> Thank you to all of those who helped provide drafting and comments to
>
> the latest proposal (especially Mary, Carlos, and Brenden).  This has
>
> been a real community effort from a growing team of engaged members.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> All best,
> Robin
>
> ______________________________________
> The NCUC is pleased to submit a proposed charter for the new
> Noncommercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG).  This revised proposal
> reflects comments received in meetings with the Board Governance
> Committee, during a “Users’ House” session and a joint ALAC-NCUC
>
> session at the 34th ICANN Public Meeting, in Mexico City, and in
> discussions with ICANN staff as well as among NCUC members.
>
> This cover letter to our proposal provides: (i) an executive summary
> of its essential elements; (ii) an explanation on how it advances the
>
> principles and goals of the GNSO Improvements process through the
> adoption of innovative approaches to certain problems posed by the
> formation of stakeholder groups; and finally (iii) a summary of the
> specific changes made in comparison to our previous version of the
> NCSG proposal, as submitted to the ICANN Board on February 28, 2009.
>
> 1. Essential Elements of the proposal:
>
> Noncommercial stakeholders join the NCSG directly, and the NCSG keeps
>
> track of membership and administers voting for Council seats by the
> membership as a whole.
> The NCSG is administered by an annually elected Chair and a Policy
> Committee. The Policy Committee is composed of the 6 elected GNSO
> Councilors and one representative from each Constituency.
> There are three classes of membership: 1) large organizations (which
> receive 4 votes), small organizations (which receive 2 votes) and
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org