trademark lobby still dominating discussion at ICANN

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Tue Mar 10 15:07:05 CET 2009

Besides, this opens up the way for other demands for special treatment
-- the one which is already being done by the GAC is place names. Of
course there will be other categorizations and respective constituencies
who will follow suit.

frt rgds

--c.a.

Robin Gross wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The trademark lobby has succeeded in convincing the ICANN Board it needs
> special treatments in the introduction of new gtlds (see below ICANN
> press release).
>
> We will need to ensure that this new "Team" includes a balanced
> perspective and not only trademark extremists who will over-state the
> rights of trademark holders and understate the rights of ordinary
> individuals or others who have a lawful right to discuss trademarked
> products and companies.
>
> Has there been any discussion of this IRT on the GNSO Counsel?   How do
> we make sure that balanced perspectives make their way onto the new "ITR
> Team"?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin
>

> Trademark Issues to be Addressed Ahead of Internet Address Expansion
> Discussions Show Progress

> Mexico City, Mexico… March 7, 2009: ICANN's 34th International public
> meeting in Mexico City has drawn to a close after the organization's
> Board of Directors approved the establishment by staff of an
> Implementation  Recommendation Team (IRT) comprised of an
> internationally diverse group of  people to develop and propose
> solutions to the over-arching issue of trademark protection in
> connection with the introduction of new generic top level domain  names
> (gTLDs).
>
> "The Board has clearly heard and believes strongly that the concerns of
> trademark holders must be addressed before this process is opened for
> applications," said Peter Dengate Thrush, Chairman of the Board of
> Directors of ICANN. "The establishment of this team, is an attempt to
> get proposed solutions from the people with skill in trademark
> protection and other issues."
>
> The IRT will be comprised of people who put forward solutions in the
> first public comment period on the new GTLD Applicant Guidebook. The IRT
> has been asked to draft a report by 24 April for comment and to produce
> a final report no later than 24 May so it can be considered at ICANN's
> Sydney meeting in June.
>
> The Mexico City meeting was also saw the release of a study that pointed
> to the public benefit of new gTLDs.
>
> The study, commissioned by ICANN, was conducted by University of Chicago
> Economics Professor Dennis Carlton. "The likely effect of ICANN's
> proposal is to increase output, lower price and increase innovation,"
> said Carlton. "I conclude that ICANN's proposed framework for
> introducing new TLDs is likely to improve consumer welfare by
> facilitating entry and creating new competition."
>
> In other notable decisions, the Board discussed the substance of changes
> to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) which include:
>
> New enforcement tools – new Registrar Audit and a group liability
> provision amongst other things.
> Registrant protections – shining a light on the risks of proxy
> registration.
> [...]

Carlos A. Afonso
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
www.rits.org.br                  www.rets.org.br
www.nupef.org.br             www.politics.org.br
www.ritsnet.org.br