6 Bucket List

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Mar 4 19:37:05 CET 2009

A few nights ago I saw the movie "The Bucket List" with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. It's a better list than this one.

When are we going to learn that attempts to sort people into detailed "buckets"? This can only work at the most general level and the more detailed the categories get the worse they work.

This list doesn't even work in Cheryl Preston's own case: she is an Educator, a Consumer, an Information Consumer and her University is a Noncommercial Organization. And she wants to run the Family and Children Constituency, too! And guess what, all those categories apply to me, too. So does this mean I get 5 votes - or does it mean that I have to force myself to decide, in a completely arbitrary way, whether I speak as an educator, consumer, parent, or information user? What nonsense.

--MM

________________________________
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Robin Gross
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 6:34 PM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] 6 Bucket List

This paper makes perfectly clear the opportunity for gaming in its suggestion that (all non-commercial organizations in the world and) all issues that non-commercial users have traditionally cared about should be squeezed into 1 constituency, while elevating 1 single proposed constituency to an equal status.  Wow.

6 imposed constituencies:
NCOC             Non-Commercial Organizations' Constituency  (organizations that make significant use of the Internet in their internal and external functions, including universities, religious groups, charities, etc.)
EDUC             Educators' Constituency (academics, researchers, teachers, education provider institutions, publishers)
CONC             Consumers' Constituency (people using on-line banking, personal and family shopping, and other non-business Internet transactions)
INFC               Information Users' Constituency (lay people searching for medical and political news and other information for non-commercial and non-professional purposes)
EMUC            Emerging Users' Constituency (users and potential users from under-developed areas, tech-impaired generations, with low education levels, or subject to language or other barriers to access and effective utilization of the Internet)
FAMC           Family and Children Constituency