new gtld objections based on morality and public order

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Mar 3 18:55:19 CET 2009

Susan Crawford's statement from the board below during the June
meeting was very helpful in trying to come to a few narrow principles
to guide new gtlds objections based on morality and public order.
Let's craft a statement to help guide the board for the public forum
this week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Robin

  >>SUSAN CRAWFORD:   Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

  I have mixed feelings on this day.  I have long supported the entry
of new gTLDs into the root.  It has seemed to me that it’s
inappropriate for ICANN to use its monopoly position over giving
advice about the existence of new TLDs to create artificial scarcity
in TLDs, where there is no natural scarcity, in my view.

  And that has led to a great deal of pent-up demand for the creation
of new TLDs for various reasons, for communities, for new identities,
all over the world.

  And in particular, it is urgent that we create IDN gTLDs for the
many language communities around the world that would prefer to have
those.

  The question presented to the board today is a little strange.

  What we’re being asked to respond to is whether the
recommendations, the policy recommendations from the GNSO are
implementable.  And then staff will go on, and if we decide they are,
theoretically, implementable, will draft the implementation
guidelines for the recommendations made by the GNSO council.

  There is a lot of important effort to go into those implementation
details.  And I am signing up to these recommendations on the
condition that the implementation work will proceed as planned, and
that the board and the community will have an opportunity to comment
in detail on that implementation work.

  In particular, I want to applaud and underline what Wendy Seltzer
just said about the morality and public order recommendation,
recommendation number 6.
  Way back when ICANN was formed, that original MOU, which we’re now
talking about as the JPA, talked of transitioning the management of
the Domain Name System to the private sector.

  And the idea was to figure out whether the private sector had the
capability and resources to assume the important responsibilities
related to the technical management of the DNS.  So that was the
question.

  And so the creation of ICANN, and the question before all of us,
was whether this entity would be a good vessel for allowing the
private sector to take the lead in the management of the Domain Name
System.

  And, in fact, the white paper in 1998 said that while international
organizations may provide specific expertise or act as advisors to
the new corporation, the U.S. continues to believe, as do most
commenters, that neither national governments acting as sovereigns
nor intergovernmental organizations acting as representatives of
governments should participate in management of Internet names and
addresses.

  Of course, national governments now have, and will continue to
have, authority to manage or establish policy for their own ccTLDs.

  This wasn’t done out of enthusiasm for the free market alone.  The
idea was also to avoid having sovereigns use the Domain Name System
for their own content, control, desires.  To avoid having the Domain
Name System used as a choke point for content.

  Recommendation 6, which is the morality and public order
recommendation, represents quite a sea change in this approach,
because the recommendation is that strings must not be contrary to
generally acceptable legal norms relating to morality and public
order that are recognized under international principles of law.
That’s the language of the recommendation.

  Now, if this is broadly implemented, this recommendation would
allow for any government to effectively veto a string that made it
uncomfortable.

  Having a government veto strings is not allowing the private sector
to lead.  It’s allowing sovereigns to censor.

  Particularly in the absence of straightforward clear limits on what
morality and public order means, people will be unwilling to propose
even controversial strings and we’ll end up with a plain vanilla list
of TLDs.

  So I am unhappy about this recommendation.  I am willing to vote
for it on the strength of the board’s discussion and the staff’s
undertakings that the standards for this recommendation will be
narrowly stated.

  And on my expectation that the board and the community will have an
opportunity to review and approve, or not, the details of those
standards.

  We do have some global norms of morality and public policy.  They
are very few.  One of them is incitement to violent, lawless action.
Nobody wants that around the world.

  A second might be incitement to or promotion of discrimination
based on race, color, gender, ethnicity, religion, or national origin.

  And the third might be incitement to or promotion of child
pornography or other sexual abuse of children.

  Otherwise, the question of morality and public order varies
dramatically around the world.  It’s a diverse, complicated world out
there.  And it may not be — it should not be possible to state that
there is a single standard of morality and public order around the
world.

  So I am asking that staff come back with an express standard that’s
constrained to stated norms, like the three I just listed, found and
expressly in their national treaties.  We need clear lines of
adjudication.  And I would be content with that kind of implementation.

  Another concern of mine is with — with this list of recommendations
is recommendation 20 which says, "An application will be rejected if
an expert panel determines that there is substantial opposition to it
from a significant portion of the community to which the string may
be explicitly or implicitly targeted."

  It’s quite unclear how it’s all going to work out, whether any
generic applicant could ever win over a community, could ever succeed
in contention for a string over a community that says it’s a
community.  And I look forward to many more details on this
recommendation as well.

  And finally — and I’m sorry to speak at such length but I think
it’s an important moment.  Finally, I’m not happy with the idea that
there will be auctions on strings for which there is more than one
applicant.  And I note that the GNSO’s own recommendations on this
subject don’t mention auctions.  And I hope the board will not adopt
this approach.

  My bottom line is I will vote for this set of recommendations, and
I hope that the implementation will be sensible. Thank you.
  [ Applause ]

  >>PETER DENGATE THRUSH:   Thank you, Susan.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org