Your feedback on upcoming GNSO motions/actions

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Mar 24 15:35:15 CET 2009

Mary:
A few rushed comments,
Which IDN fast track plan are you talking about now, the one released November 28? For general and opinionated overview of my take on the ccTLD fast-track, see this:
http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2008/7/14/3791233.html
2. Investigation by ICANN staff over details of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) - I don't currently see this as an issue over which NCUC has a contrary position, although some members may wish to review the Working Group's recommendations (see link below).

The interesting issue here is the use of a new "whois" protocol known as IRIS. Be attentive to the privacy and security implications for users

** 3. Initiation of a Policy Development Process (PDP) for post-expiration domain name expiry - I hope members can provide us with comments and feedback so that the Councillors can determine whether or not to vote to support this.

This looks like an effort by Alan Greenberg and other user advocates within ALAC to alter the expiration process in ways that are more favorable to users who inadvertently let their domains expire. All I can sya is, is there a clear and quantified definition of the problem here? Also, be careful, messing with the no-mans land of the expired domain name. Not too lon ago the redemption grace period created the entire domain tasting industry. Be aware that procedures can be gamed, even when well-intentioned. Talk to Alan but also talk to PIR and other registries about the parameters.

** The action to be implemented that I think will be of interest to NCUC members relates to the motion passed in March on the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). This requires a Drafting Team to be formed to draft a Registrants' Rights Charter by July 31 - as the proposed Charter was a primary reason why the 3 NCUC Councillors voted in favor of the RAA amendments, we believe this is an Action Item that NCUC members should get involved in. Please let us know if you are interested.

Yes, I look forward to seeing many volunteers from the Internet safety advocates, as this is an issue that really affects end users' security and safety in their domains.