Urgent: Nominations for IRT Participants

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Mar 12 11:47:24 CET 2009

Just had a private email with a Board member
Apparently the approach of this WG is to put all the complainers (i.e. the trademark/IP people) into a position where they have to come up with a solution that is both acceptable to them and to the rest of the community. In other words it is not intended to be an open WG but is deliberately intended to be slanted toward them with (they hope) the salutary effect of forcing them to be constructive and commit themselves to accepting whatever they propose.
Thus, while I agree that Konstantinos has expertise in this area and that we should leverage it, I think the best way is NOT to put him on the group (may not be able to get onto it anyway) but to assign him to be our special monitor of the results of that group. He can assess the results and tell us whether to scream against it or to accept it. And draft our response. And if it is really bad, help us convince other stakeholder groups to oppose it as well.

________________________________
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Konstantinos Komaitis
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:35 AM
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Urgent: Nominations for IRT Participants

Dear all,

My  Ph.D. Thesis and the book I am currently working on is on domain name regulation and the balance between trademark and domain name protection. I am not really certain how many would agree with my approach but the truth is that I have been researching for a substantial number of years on this issue. From the call it is not really straightforward how much workload is involved (I guess it is quite a lot) but I would like to nominate myself and preferably work with someone else on this?
Please do let me know if anyone else is interested or we can move towards Bill's suggestion and I can cooperate with an outreach committee, which I think makes also good sense.

Thanks

Konstantinos