Urgent: Nominations for IRT Participants

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Thu Mar 12 10:11:23 CET 2009

Hi,

As the board meeting transcript nugget Adam passed on specifically
indicates, there's an expectation/hope on the part of a number of
board members that constituencies other than IPC will mobilize and
engage in the IRT.  So we need some good candidates.  I would think we
have enough options, but if the workload and time frame are
prohibitive for anyone it might be worth supplementing via some
outreach to noncomm IPR experts that are not yet in NCUC...?

Anyway, below is the process. Sounds like the IPC gets to run the show
and review "nominees".  One assumes good sense will prevail and
knowledgeable candidates with orthogonal views will not be
rejected...But the time frame is a bit short, deadline tomorrow.  I'm
going to send a note to the council suggesting an extension of a few
days, we'll see.

So who's interested?

Bill

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette at cov.com>
> Date: March 11, 2009 11:00:35 PM GMT+01:00
> To: <council at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: [council] Nominations for IRT Participants
>
> All,
>
> Because we've received a number of inquiries about nominations for
> IRT participants, we thought it would be helpful to provide the
> information below.
>
> Nominations for IRT participants should be sent to Steve Metalitz
> (IPC President), Ute, Cyril or me.  Steve's email address is not on
> the Council page or the IPC home page so please contact me off-list
> if you would like it.
>
> The nominations must include:
>
> 1.  The full name and contact information of the nominee (including
> the name of her/his employer and title);
> 2.  The ICANN Geographic Region(s) in which the nominee is a citizen
> and is a resident;
> 3.  Identification of the nominee's knowledge, experience, and
> expertise in the fields of trademark, consumer protection, or
> competition law, and the interplay of trademarks and the domain name
> system;
>
> 4.  Identification of any financial ownership or senior management/
> leadership interest of the nominee in registries, registrars or
> other entities that are stakeholders or interested parties in ICANN
> or any entity with which ICANN has a transaction, contract, or other
> arrangement;
>
> 5.  State if the nominee would be representing any other party or
> person through her/his IRT participation and, if so, identify that
> party or person; and
>
> 6.  State if the nominee submitted public comments on the first
> draft of the DAG that provided proposed solutions to the trademark
> issues and, if so, attach a copy of those comments.
>
> We must receive all nominations not later than Friday, 13 March, at
> noon EDT.  Because of the deadlines set forth by the Board in the
> resolution, it will be exceedingly difficult to consider any
> nominations submitted after that point.  Also, based on very
> preliminary time lines, IRT participants should expect to spend at
> least 15 full business days (excluding travel time) in the next two
> months on the team's work.
>
> Kristina

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj