new gtld objections based on morality and public order

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Sat Mar 7 14:51:18 CET 2009

Dear Robin and all,

I think that Susan¹s fears are justifiable and it is good to see someone
actually mentioning these issues. Morality and public order is very
subjective and ICANN needs to realize that this proposal will once again
generated the same problems of subjective interpretation that has happened
during the drafting of the convention on Human Rights. These were different
times of course however, currently we can not proceed as such without a
clear examination of the issues that have to be dealt. Governments and in
particular with their ccTLDs exercise a clear right of sovereignty and thus
the whole plan instead of working as a catalyst for the unification of the
DNS might actually have the diverse effect. At the consultation rounds for
the IGF, China already expressed its problem over ICANN and the US and this
plan might contribute towards reaching decisions that cannot be changed. I
would be happy to work with someone towards promoting a more inclusive and
subjective proposal.

Konstantinos

--
Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,