GNSO working group

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Fri Jun 19 12:21:35 CEST 2009

Dear Edward and all,

ŒGripe/commentary¹ sites as abusive is a pattern that has been established
and is being promoted as a normative justification via the UDRP. So far it
is exemplified mainly via the addition of the negative connotation <.sucks>
next to the trademarked term in the SLD space and up to this day UDRP panels
consider gripe sites as abusive and thus they transfer the domain name to
the trademark owner. See for instance the latest UDRP case on <.sucks>,
which clearly illustrates this normative pattern: ( Société Air France v.
Mark Allaye-Chan, WIPO D2009-0327 (³The disputed domain name contains the
Complainant¹s entire trade mark. However, it also contains the suffix
³-suck². The disputed domain name therefore falls within the category of
so-called ³sucks² cases (where a trade mark is joined with a negative term).
Previous panels who encounter ³sucks² cases have found that a domain names
can be confusingly similar to the trade mark for various reasons, including
because the disputed domain name is highly similar to the trade mark; or
because the domain name may not be recognized as negative (for example, for
non-English speaking Internet users). This view (that ³sucks² domain names
are confusingly similar to the trade mark) is the majority view of previous
panels, and may even be the consensus view. See e.g., Sermo, Inc. v.
CatalystMD LLC, WIPO Case No. D2008-0647, Footnote 5; Air Austral v. Tian Yi
Tong Investment Ltd., WIPO Case No. D2009-0020. It is in any event the
Panel¹s preferred view in these circumstances, particularly because the
Complainant originated in France, and may have a significant number of
non-English speaking customers who will not automatically recognize ³suck²
as a pejorative term.)
This is not only contrary to free speech but it is also contrary to
trademark and defamation laws. As stated, the US has already allowed gripe
sites to co-exist in harmony with trademarks ­ the same way Nominet, UK has
incorporated a specific clause within their own dispute resolution services.
This should be added as well as issues of RDNH, which nobody seems to give
the appropriate attention to.

Best
Konstantinos