Registrants Rights DT

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Tue Jun 2 13:50:04 CEST 2009

Hi Karen,

I wrote to Glen asking her to add you and Konstantinos to the
registrants rights drafting team & listserv, you should get notice from
her shortly.  So I believe the team is now

Avri Doria - GNSO Chair -NCA
Chuck Gomes - GNSO Vive Chair Registry c.
Tim Ruiz -  Registrar c.
Stéphane van Gelder - Registrar c.
Adrian Kinderis - Registrar c.
William Drake -  NCUC
Baudouin Schombe NCUC
Karen Banks NCUC
Konstantinos Komaitis NCUC
Alan Greenberg -  ALAC
Daniel Monastersky - ALAC  (LACRALO)
Beau Brendler -  ALAC
Evan Leibovitch  ALAC

privately, the group has yet to get started, there's been no traffic on
the list, so there are no documents or  established work patterns to
point to.  But things will have to get going soon.  If I recall
correctly (don't have access to everything here) we have 30 days from
Board approval of the RAA amendments on 21 May to put together the
team/mandate and until end July to draft a charter, something like
that.  I'm copying Avri as well as Alan, one of them can undoubtedly
clarify.  Also copying other ALAC folks who indicated they wanted to be
involved.  ALAC did some work on this in the past that we can draw on in
thinking about what kinds of public interest oriented provisions we'd
like to see and could reasonably ask for under the terms of the board
resolution etc, as well as longer term priorities.  In any event, there
should be close cooperation between NCUC and ALAC folks on this,
including (one would hope) on outreach to potentially interested civil
society people who are not presently involved in either group.  I
suppose as a first step we ought to set up a listserv and share pointers
to background docs and dialogues etc.

Perhaps I should add---and this will undoubtedly surprise you to no
end---that when this was discussed in the council a month or two back
there was a lot of push from the biz c to narrowly define the mandate,
abandon use of the term "charter of rights," and so on.  Presumably the
monkey business will get back into full swing once the list starts
firing up.  Should be a heartening complement to the attacks on NCSG
council seats, charter, etc.

Best,

Bill

karen banks wrote:
> hi robin
>
> Could you count me in for group 2, thanks (and, would you mind point
> me to any useful updates on this group's work? i'm afraid i haven't
> followed the discussion in NCUC this past month or so..)
>
> karen
>
> At 17:08 01/06/2009, Robin Gross wrote:
>> In follow-up to our constituency call today, we are looking for
>> volunteers for the following 3 new NCUC teams:
>>
>> 1.  New gTLD group to work on a response to the new gTLD proposals
>> (concern for free expression, high costs, IRT "wish list", favoritism
>> of entrenched interests over innovators, etc).
>>
>> 2.  New group to provide input into the Registrant Rights Charter
>> discussion (bring in outside expertise and craft positions on a
>> Registrant Rights Charter, work with At-Large/ALAC, etc).
>>
>> 3.  NCUC Membership Committee (develop and implement ideas to bring
>> in new non-commercial members and increase participation in NCUC and
>> ICANN).
>>
>> Please let me know if you are interested in participating in ANY of
>> the above new NCUC teams that are being set up (or if you have any
>> questions on them).
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Robin
>>

>> IP JUSTICE
>> Robin Gross, Executive Director
>> 1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
>> p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
>> w: http://www.ipjustice.org      e: robin at ipjustice.org
>> <mailto:robin at ipjustice.org>

William J. Drake
Senior Associate